The biggest question on anyone’s mind right now is how to watch Oscars awards online without cable. And who wouldn’t want that to happen? It is the biggest movie event of the year honoring the best in filmmaking and the likes. Any or all movie buffs will be dying to watch the Oscars awards ceremony for free.
A Little into the Oscars Background
The official name for this awards show is Academy Awards but it is commonly referred to as Oscars. March 4, 2018, is the Oscars awards date and this will mark the event’s 90th ceremony. It will be held at Dolby Theatre, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. The ceremony is centered around a total of 24 awards including both popular and technical category awards.
In the year 1929, the awards were first presented and subsequently in the year 1930, they were broadcast on radio. 1953 was the year Oscars officially saw a televised premiere.
The Oscars 2018
Before we proceed, let us look into the Oscars award nominees that were announced earlier this year on 23rd January. The most number of nominations were earned by Guillermo Del Toro’s ‘The Shape of the Water’; 13 in total. It was followed up by Christopher Nolan’s WWII drama ‘Dunkirk’ earning 8 nominations and lastly, ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ was nominated for 7 awards.
The grand event will be hosted by the late night talk show host who needs no introduction, Jimmy Kimmel. This will be his second time hosting the Oscars. Following are the nominations:
Actor in a Leading Role
- Timothée Chalamet for Call Me by Your Name
- Daniel Day-Lewis for Phantom Thread
- Daniel Kaluuya for Get Out
- Gary Oldman for Darkest Hour
- Denzel Washington for Roman J. Israel, Esq.
Actress in a Leading Role
- Sally Hawkins for The Shape of Water
- Frances McDormand for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- Margot Robbie for I, Tonya
- Saoirse Ronan for Lady Bird
- Meryl Streep for The Post
- Call Me by Your Name
- Darkest Hour
- Get Out
- Lady Bird
- Phantom Thread
- The Post
- The Shape of Water
- Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
For more Oscar nominations visit the official page.
About the Oscars awards Live Stream
ABC channel in the US has exclusive rights to Oscars broadcast. So if you are located anywhere else in the world other than the US you will be met with a message that restricts your ability to view the live stream. See below:
The Quick Answer
The answer to bypassing this limitation is through the use of a VPN service. For all the newbies out there, remember whenever you are online, your IP is visible and which gives away your location. Therefore through a VPN, you can mask it and not a soul will know from where you accessed the content (in this case, Oscars live stream).
How to Watch Oscars award live on Kodi
Kodi is an online streaming software which runs on add-ons. Kodi tends to retrieve content from places around the web such as through torrents. Now, here’s the catch! In order to utilize official add-ons, you will have to register and pay to watch the live stream.
But it is the unofficial add-ons that will bring you the real excitement because they are free. However, streaming copyright material on Kodi via unofficial add-ons can land you into hot water with the authorities.
Again, a good VPN will help protect you from authorities and will render you anonymity through which you can enjoy unlimited streaming of Oscar 2018 live stream on Kodi.
The notable Kodi add-on for this purpose is Brotherhood which is a third-party add-on. Other than that, there is USTVNow add-on which can only be used after account login as it falls under the official add-ons bracket and caps the limit at 7 channels. The sign up is, however, free. Either way, it does not amount to ‘without hassle to sign up’.
Watch Oscars 2018 on Kodi via Brotherhood
- Download the Zip file
- Go to Add-ons in Kodi
- Click on the Box icon and select Install from zip file
- Browse to the directory where you downloaded the zip file
- Open it and wait for the confirmation notification to appear
- Next, head on to Install from repository
- Navigate to Intercomp Media
- Select Video Add-ons then Brotherhood and Install
- Start Kodi and hit the Gear icon i.e. Settings
- Go to File Manager
- Double click on Add source from the left-hand column
- Select None and type in the following URL: http://intrcomp.net/intrcomp/
- Click OK
- You can choose whatever you want to name it or call it Intercomp Repo and click “OK”
- Click OK again which will close the dialog box
- Go back to the main menu and click to open Add-ons menu
- On the top left corner, choose the Package Installer icon
- Opt Install from zip file
- Select Intercomp Repo and choose Repository.intrcomp-2.6.zip
- Wait for the “installation complete” notification
- After the message choose Install from repository
- Open Intercomp Media> Video Add-ons> Brotherhood> Install
- Open the said add-on and select ABC to watch the Oscars
Steps to Watching Oscars 2018 on cCloud
- Launch Kodi
- Go to Settings
- Choose File Manager
- Double click on Add Source
- Click on None
- Type in the URL http://kdil.co/repo/
- Click OK
- Name it ‘Kodil Repo’
- Again, click OK
- Hit backspace to go back to the Home screen
- On the main menu, click Add-ons
- Select Package Installer icon
- Install from zip
- Find Kodil Repo
- Choose zip
- Next, Install from repository
- Choose Kodil Repository
- Then Video Add-ons
- Scroll down to locate cCloudTV
- Now Install
- Once the installation notification appears select cCloudTV from Add-ons under Video Add-ons library
Remeber to employ a VPN to unblock geo-restricted content such as streaming Academy Awards on ABC. Through this, you can access Oscars live stream from anywhere around the globe. Kodi will be your best companion when it comes to learning about Oscars award winners firsthand.
Should you have anything to share on which add-ons to use for watching Oscars awards live on Kodi, let us know in the comments section, below.